Sophie is a Registered Dietitian based in Oxford, UK, one of only a handful of people in Europe qualified to deliver MB-EAT (Mindfulness Based Eating Awareness Training), the most evaluated and researched mindful eating approach.
Sophie has a Masters in Applied Human Nutrition and a postgraduate degree in Dietetics. After working in the NHS for several years using conventional approaches weight management, she came to mindfulness to learn new skills for living with a long-term back problem, and found something that had a much more far-reaching impact on appreciating every day life and managing its stresses more skillfully.
The advantages of using a mindful approach to eating where obvious but opportunities to learn more scarce, leading to a trip to the Omega Institute in the Hudson Valley, New York State to become a Mindfulness Based Eating Awareness (MB-EAT) trainer. Sophie has also continued to develop her own mindfulness practice and teaching skills through workshops, retreats and teaching with others.
She facilitiates mindful eating courses and workshops, writes about mindfulness and mindful eating and offers expert consultancy services about mindful eating.
Like all mindfulness teachers, learning and developing is an ongoing project. Here are some of the wonderful teachers we have had the pleasure to learn with:
- Mindfulness-Based Eating Awareness Professional Training at the Omega Institute in New York with Jean Kristeller and Andrea Lieberstein
- Mindful Eating, Conscious Living with Jan Chozen Bays and Char Wilkins
- Mindfulness Teacher Training with Bangor University
- Masterclasses at the Oxford Mindfulness Centre
- Teacher training internship with Oxford Mindfulness
Having worked for the NHS in a specialist bariatric service and diabetes management she understands the importance of finding long-term, sustainable solutions to eating well and reaching the right weight for each individual. She has also worked in endocrine (particularly Polycystic Ovary Syndrome), metabolic and cardiovascular specialities, and has completed post-qualification training with Kings College London in the low FODMAP diet approach for Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
She is committed to providing evidence-based information and is committed to promoting this to a wider audience in her role as a media spokesperson of the British Dietetic Association. Her time is currently divided between the NHS and private work.
Professional Qualifications & Memberships
- MSc Applied Human Nutrition
- PGDip Dietetics
- British Dietetic Association Media Spokesperson
- MB-EAT (Mindfulness Based Eating Awareness Training) facilitator
- Mindful Eating, Conscious Living Facilitator
- Member of The Center for Mindful Eating
- Health Professions Council registered
- BDA Freelance Dietitians Group Member